A newly branded area of Liverpool, with potential to create 2.5million sq ft of new development space creating an estimated 7,000 jobs over the coming decade, this is Upper Central
Covering 56 acres in the heart of Liverpool city centre – the area is to be the subject of a draft masterplan to create an international standard gateway site to a £2bn flagship regeneration scheme.
Running from Central Station to Liverpool Science Park and Lime Street to Bold Street, Upper Central is seen as key to the future development of the city’s blossoming Knowledge Quarter (KQ Liverpool).
Video: See Upper Central from the air:
Liverpool City Council Cabinet has approved that a public consultation can begin on a draft Spatial Regeneration Framework (SRF) to help shape the future direction of the area.
Its focus will be how Upper Central can become a magnet for digital, tech and creative sectors with the aim of providing three key goals :-
1. To maximise the opportunities of 2.5million sq.ft of new developments (larger than Liverpool ONE), with potential to create up to 7,000 new jobs.
2. A new sustainable, walkable and recognisable gateway location within the city, promoting pedestrian movement, increased dwell time and a positive first impression to millions of residents and visitors arriving into the city centre at Lime Street or Central stations.
3. To ensure high quality public realm that creates a place that is distinctly Liverpudlian and attractive to occupiers, residents and investors.
The 8 week long consultation will be begin on Monday, 15 July supported by a new website – www.uppercentral.co.uk – for people to provide feedback online and will feature four public events:
• Monday, 15 July: 12noon–5pm at 2a Franceys Street, L3 5YQ (access from Brownlow Hill)
• Thursday, 8 August: 1pm–6pm at FACT, Wood Street
• Tuesday, 20 August: 10am-3pm at Central Station
• Thursday, 5 September: 1-6pm at RIBA North West, Mann Island
The public can give their views on the draft SRF at Liverpool City Council website: www.liverpool.gov.uk/consultation